What you are about to read is details of a disgusting true crime story. Please don't read this if it will upset you. I'm talking to you, Alice.
A friend in Portland (who knows the perpetrator, but not the victim) began delivering the details of this story to me as they came out in the press this week. It is such a disturbing tale, I assumed he was pulling the story from the catalogue of Newbury Comics, the story he manages. I knew it was time to google down the facts.
- Investigators find body in burning apartment on Monday night (5/25)
- Fire was set to cover up murder
- Chad Gurney, 27, known around the Portland scene as a nice, thoughtful guy, arrested, entered no plea
- Former lacrosse champion, Gurney lived off a settlement from 2005 team bus accident, played for Liberty College, religious school founded by Jerry Falwell
- Reports of mental instability, but no history of violence
- Victim: 18-year-old Zoe Sarnacki
- Gurney allegedly cut off her head with a samurai sword
- Unsubstantiated claims say Gurney allegedly had sex with her headless body, sodomized her with a crucifix and torched her