Sunday, August 9, 2009

Queuing for quickies, Labradorite, Defino jumps into all the boys arms, Bear party

Pics: (top to bottom) 1 Long lines reflected in my 80s dead stock Italian Aviators. 2 Pretty labradorite 3 Delfino taks a jump 4 My new Bear friends Allan and Mike


I started the day by making a beautiful fritata for Mike and Jess. Leek, mushroom, and cheddar with whole grain toast, strawberries, and yogurt. Then we all split up and went our separate ways, only to see each other again at the Meet the Media Event. The Fringe organizers set up 12 tables where representatives from various news agencies came and sat down. One at a time, they interviewed Fringe participants about their shows. The queues were long. The interviews were quick. I only made it through 3 lines in 2 hours before I got the hell out of there. Ate dinner at the Mosque Kitchen. Delish.

Then my show. Another one down. I don't know where the people are coming from, but the shows have been full every night. Last night at the show, there was a nice lady who thanked me and told me that she put a little gift in the tip bucket for me. Later I pulled out a little tiny stone wrapped in paper that said "Labradorite." According to disreputable sources, "Labradorite is a stone of transformation, a useful companion through change, imparting strength and perseverance. It balances and protects the aura, raises consciousness and banishes fears and insecurities... strengthens faith in the self and trust in the universe. It stimulates the imagination and calms an overactive mind, developing enthusiasm and new ideas..." Whether or not any of that is true doesn't really matter because Labrodorite is pretty. Delfino offered to make a necklace out of it for me, so I said sure.

Speaking of that Delfino broad, her shows (and Mike's) are also going swimmingly. I decided to check out a bear party last night that a cute boy invited me to. On my way there, I passed by Delfino's venue, just as her show was getting out. Surrounded by cute Scottish 20-something boys, Delfino leapt into their arms to be photographed. The good times rolled on to the bear bar where there were a lot of fat hairy guys in kilts. But there were also some cute guys, and the boy that invited me was there. We had some drinks and some laughs and I came home.

Really the best thing I could do for myself here would be to put myself in position to drink and schmooze with people who can help my career. It's kind of gross. But it's the way things are done. And the truth is that I have a lot to offer a producer. I wouldn't be using them any more than they'd be using me... Trying to build up the nerve, I guess...

1 comment:

  1. Ben I just saw your poster in Pearce's Bar, I have heard you on KATG so will deffo com and check you out as Renroc is about 5 mins from my house - I walk my dog that way a lot! Good luck with your run, best wishes Mel x

    ReplyDelete